Historical Moto3 pole position for Cortese07/04/2012
Red Bull KTM Ajo Factory Racing Team made Road Racing history with their German rider Sandro Cortese on Saturday in Qatar.
Cortese who shined along with the floodlights of Losail circuit took his beautifully coloured KTM factory bike the new Moto3 class first pole position with lap time of 2.08, online 188.
– Pole position is a great start for the GP season and of course we’re satisfied with that. We’ve worked successfully and at this point we have a good, stomach basic bike on our hands, stomach assessed team leader Aki Ajo.
Celebrating two World Championships as team leader, Ajo keeps his head cool. His feet stay firmly on the ground.
– We aspire to perfection and there’s a lot of work to be done. Also, we must keep in mind that this bike hasn’t seen a race come this Sunday.
Cortese feels the rhytm
Cortese scored his forth pole with style maintaining his cool.
– I got a good rhythm going and rode my best lap solo without tow. This also adds to my confidence in the Sunday´s GP, rejoiced Cortese, who took the pole on his last lap at qualifying. Traction on the Losail circuit situated in the desert was not perfect. Moto3 was the first session of the evening.
– I went out to qualifying with a harder front tyre, which didn’t feel good. We switched to a softer tyre and that proved the right decision. Cortese’s teammate, Australian Arthur Sissis came in ninth while Briton Danny Kent took 12th position. Starting his first full MotoGP season Sissis fell 0,813 seconds behind pole and Kent trailed by 0,938 seconds.
– Third row place is also good performance from Sissis in that sense that he is now riding for the first time at Losail circuit. Sissis has improved his performance and his speed day by day, Ajo complimented his rookie rider.
When succeeding Kent is amongst the best riders of the season opener despite his fourth row starting place.
– The qualifying took pretty much a waiting turn for Kent but he has a lot of potential, Ajo confirmed.
COMMERCIALBANK GRAND PRIX OF QATAR
Moto2 Qualifying Practice Classification:
1. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM 2.08,188
2. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda + 0,016
3. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda + 0,115
4. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 0,378
5. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 0,546
6. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 0,611
7. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 0,659
8. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Honda + 0,738
9. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,813
10. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 0,919
11. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 0,931
12. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,938
13. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Honda + 0,951
14. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 1,182
15. Brad Binder South Africa, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 1,372
The full qualifying result: