Khairuddin made an impressive performance at difficult race in Jerez29/04/2012
AirAsia-SIC-Ajo Team´s Malaysian rider Zulfahmi Khairuddin performed really well at the season´s second GP of Moto3-class at the Jerez circuit in Spain. Khairuddin made his way from 28th place to tenth at difficult circumstances on partly wet track of Jerez. After two GPs Khairuddin, buy who competes with KTM´s factory bike, has a promising sixth position in championship standing.
– Top result from poor starting place. Fahmi made a really smart race. He kept his head cool, made smart moves and continued the same good style he has done also earlier at difficult circumstances, team leader Aki Ajo praised.
Khairuddin admitted that he would have had possibilities for even better results but the risk was too high.
– At some stage I tried to push a bit more, but I realized soon that it wasn´t smart thing to do. I saw so many riders crashing along the race.
And there really were many crashes: out of 34 riders only half made it to the finish.
– I actually was a bit surprised that this was announced to be a dry race. All the riders started with slick tyres but there were too many wet spots on the track. I can´t remember any race like this, Ajo wondered.
The winner of the Moto3 class was Italian Romano Fenati who crossed the finish line overwhelmingly 36 seconds before Spanish Luis Salom who finished second. Cortese finished seven tenths of a second after Salom.
Fenati took his first victory only from the second GP of his career. He was second in Qatar and therefore leads the championship standing. The fact that pole man Alex Rins finished fourth after crashing twice tells a lot about the unusual race.
The next GP is held already next weekend at Estoril circuit in Portugal.
GRAN PREMIO bwin DE ESPAÑA
Moto3 Race Classification 2012
1. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda 43.50,885
2. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 36,139
3. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 36,895
4. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 37,061
5. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 49,036
6. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda + 55,857
7. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 57,505
8. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 1.03,683
9. Hector Faubel Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 1.15,351
10. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 1.35,650
11. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 1 kierros
12. Alex Marquez Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 1 kierros
13. Ivan Moreno Spain, Andalucia JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 1 kierros
14. Alan Techer France, Technomag-CIP-TSR, TSR Honda + 1 kierros
15. Giulian Pedone Switzerland, Ambrogio Next Racing, Oral + 1 kierros
16. Marcel Schrotter Germany, Mahindra Racing, Mahindra + 1 kierros
17. Jasper Iwema Netherlands, Moto FGR, FGR Honda + 1 kierros
Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM.
Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM.
Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM.
17 riders did not classified.
World championship standing:
1. Fenati 45
2. Vinales 35
3. Salom 33
4. Cortese 32
5. Rins 19
6. Khairuddin 11
11. Sissis 9
12. Kent 8
19. Ajo 3
Next GP: 6.5. Estoril, Portugal.