Khairuddin qualified fifth in Estoril – best ever result by a Malaysian rider05/05/2012
Zulfahmi Khairuddin made Malaysian Road Racing history on Saturday at the qualifying in Portugal and will start on Sunday from the fifth place to the season´s third moto3 GP at Estoril circuit. The qualifying result is Khairuddin´s best during his career. The best one until today was seventh place, medicine which he took from the season opener held in Qatar.
AirAsia-SIC-Ajo Team´s KTM-rider who will start to the GP of Portugal from the second row of the grid made his fastest lap in time of 1.48, ailment 083 at the 4, store 2 kilometres long track. Fahmi kept his head cool and made the time at last lap when he improved his placement with five places.
Khairuddin rode pretty much with similar settings as he had ridden earlier.
– Great performance and I have to be happy with that. Feeling for riding and for the bike are also on good level, Khairuddin confirmed.
However, he still had something to improve for the future and might be able to go even faster.
– I perhaps was a bit too careful at the last long curve because despite the sunshine there were still some wet spots. I believe that at the race I can do even better, Khairuddin wondered.
Team leader Aki Ajo relies strongly on Khairuddin.
– Fahmi did once again a great job and made a great result. We can expect from him a strong effort at the race.
The pole position was taken by KTM factory rider German Sandro Cortese with a time of 1.47,145. The pole was already Cortese´s second of the season. Khairuddin was 0,938 seconds behind Cortese.
GRANDE PREMIO DE PORTUGAL CIRCUITO ESTORIL
Moto3 Qualifying Practice Classification 2012:
1. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM 1.47,145
2. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda + 0,315
3. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 0,771
4. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,805
5. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 0,938
6. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 1,046
7. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 1,093
8. Efren Vazquez Spain, JHK T-Shirt Laglisse, FTR Honda + 1,154
9. Hector Faubel Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 1,204
10. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 1,331
11. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 1,333
12. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 1,551
13. Adrian Martin Spain, JHK T-Shirt Laglisse, FTR Honda + 1,726
14. Brad Binder South Africa, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 1,755
15. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda + 1,782
16. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo , KTM + 1,868
24. Joan Olive Spain, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 2,735