Dream starter Khairuddin finished ninth at Mugello15/07/2012
AirAsia-SIC-Ajo Team´s Malaysian rider Zulfahmi Khairuddin did again what was expected from him at season´s eight GP in Italy at circuit of Mugello.
Khairuddin crossed the finish line with his KTM bike being ninth keeping at the same time his sixth place in world championship standing.
Khairuddin had a dream start from seventh place of the grid and lead the race in the beginning. But eight laps later the front group started to pull away.
Flue took the strength
“I just didn´t have enough strength”, said Khairuddin, “I had a bad flue, which made it difficult to breath. It was good that I even managed to get to the finish.”
“I just have to be satisfied with this result. I found a good pace during the race and I head to the second half of the season with confident mind to make good results”, planned Khairuddin who is sixth in championship standing.
The victory battle was quite a thriller between Spanish pole man Maverick Vinales, Italian Romano Fenati and German Sandro Cortese.
In the end it was Vinales who crossed the finish line two hundredths of a second before Fenati. Cortese finished third 71 thousandth of seconds from the winner.
Cortese has now 164 points, which is nine more than what Vinales has. Khairuddin has 66 points.
Moto3 riders will have now a summer brake that lasts more than a month. The next GP is held 19th of August at Circuit of Indianapolis in USA.
GRAN PREMIO D’ITALIA TIM
Moto3 Race Classification:
1. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda 39.57,374
2. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 0,020
3. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,071
4. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 5,788
5. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 5,836
6. Efren Vazquez Spain, JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 5,860
7. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 5,906
8. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 18,195
9. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 19,232
10. Hector Faubel Spain, Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3, Kalex KTM + 19,308
11. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 35,855
12. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 35,872
13. Adrian Martin Spain, JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 36,175
14. Kevin Calia Italy, Elle 2 Ciatti, Honda + 36,195
15. Michael Ruben Rinaldi Italy, Racing Team Gabrielli, Honda + 36,270
World Championship standing:
1. Cortese 164
2. Vinales 155
3. Luis Salom Spain, Kalex KTM 104
4. Fenati 85
5. Masbou 75
6. Khairuddin 66
7. Rins 63
8. Louis Rossi France, FTR Honda 56
9. Antonelli 55
10. Kent 53
11. Vazquez 50
12. Faubel 44
13. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Suter Honda 39
14. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo 38
15. Alberto Moncayo Spain, 36
18. Ajo 21
Next GP: 19th of August Indianapolis, USA.