Season´s tenth front row for Cortese29/09/2012
Championship leader Red Bull KTM Ajo Factory Racing Team´s Sandro Cortese continues his strong performances in Moto3-class.
Cortese starts for Sunday´s race from third place when the season´s 13th Moto3 GP is held at the circuit of Aragon in Spain. The front row place is already tenth for the German who has taken six pole positions.
Cortese´s fastest lap on almost dry Aragon circuit was 2.02, order 236. His countryman Jonas Folger took the first pole of his career being 0,326 seconds faster than Cortese. Spanish Luis Salom qualified second.
“Place in a front row is good enough”, admits Cortese, “You can´t always be in the pole.”
Cortese showed once again how he can keep his head cool when he made his way up to fight for the first place in the end of the qualifying session.
“I kept on fighting until the last seconds”, says Cortese, “In the beginning it was difficult for all of us to go fast enough because the track was still partly damp. I hope we are able to make the Sunday morning´s warm up session on dry track so that we can still continue to develop the bike for the race. But all in all, everything worked just fine already now. The team has done once again a great job.”
Cortese leads the championship standing by 46 points when five GPs remain.
“I can´t change anything in this situation. I continue to work as I have done so far, which means that I´ll work as well as possible and stay calm. It will end up well”, says Cortese with a high self-esteem.
Cortese´s team mates Briton Danny Kent qualified fifth and Australian Arthur Sissis was 16th. They were 0,521 and 1,699 seconds from the pole.
“All our riders have good places for the race”, says team leader Aki Ajo, “We should remember that this was once again quite special kind of qualifying. We started with wet tires and changed for the slicks, with which we tried to make good laps in a rush because it was about to start raining. The weather and circumstances were really demanding. And it looks that we will have unsteady circumstances also on a race day.”
GRAN PREMIO IVECO DE ARAGÓN
Moto3 Qualifying Practice Classification:
1. Jonas Folger Germany, Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3, Kalex KTM 2.01,715
2. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 0,152
3. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,326
4. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 0,487
5. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,521
6. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda + 0,647
7. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 0,672
8. Efren Vazquez Spain, JHK t-shirt Laglisse, FTR Honda + 0,746
9. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 0,856
10. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 1,048
11. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 1,261
12. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Andalucia JHK t-shirt Laglisse, FTR Honda + 1,297
13. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda + 1,366
14. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 1,575
15. Juan Francisco Guevara Spain, Wild Wolf BST, FTR Honda + 1,697
16. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 1,699
20. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 2,173