Difficult qualifying session for Darryn Binder in Argentina


Weather conditions throughout the qualifying session make the work of the Red Bull KTM Ajo rider tricky, and he places 25th.


Yesterday the weather forecasts proved inaccurate, but today the Moto3 field had to contend with wet conditions on the second day of the Argentinian GP. Intermittent rain left mixed track conditions that complicated work for the riders. One of those who suffered the most was Darryn Binder, who had to settle for twenty-fifth place on the starting grid for tomorrow.

The final Free Practice session was useful for the lower cylinder class riders to experience wet conditions for the first time. Although the rainfall was light, the track never dried out and it was thus hard to set fast lap times. Binder clocked his best time on his final attempt, placing fourteenth with a 2:01.892.

The qualifying session did not go as Binder would have liked. The 40 minutes were very difficult on a track with mixed conditions and more intermittent light rain. The Red Bull KTM Ajo rider saw the surface change with each of his stints, making it impossible to put in fast laps. He eventually placed twenty-fifth -1:56.333-, for a start from the ninth row of the grid.

Darryn Binder will try to make a good start, as he did in the Qatar GP, to allow him to move up the order and join the group fighting for points. The Moto3 race will begin at 12pm local time time -5pm CET.


Results (Qualifying session)
1. Tony Arbolino (Honda) 1:53.782
2. Marco Bezzecchi (KTM) 1:54.088 +0.306
3. Gabriel Rodrigo (KTM) 1:54.330 +0.548
4. Adam Norrodin (Honda) 1:54.346 +0.564
5. Enea Bastianini (Honda) 1:54.361 +0.579
25. Darryn Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 1:56.333 +2.551


“Today was a difficult day. This morning we had a first chance to ride in wet conditions, but it started to dry out and I tried to adapt as well as possible. It didn’t go badly at all and I found out how to improve the bike. Later on, in the qualifying session, we came out with a wet setup and when we saw that it was starting to dry out we entered the pits after a single lap. We put slicks on but I found myself alone on the track and it was difficult to ride, due to the puddles in the middle of the track. We made a second stop and it started to rain again; It was impossible to go fast. It was difficult to manage the circumstances. We hope that tomorrow we can make a good start and come back up the field.”