Deniz Öncü fights hard in Albacete race13/10/2019
The Red Bull KTM Ajo rider finished in the points again in Round 7 of the FIM Moto3 Junior World Championship.
The Red Bull KTM Ajo Team completed the penultimate FIM CEV round of 2019 on Sunday at the Albacete Circuit. Although the race was challenging for Deniz Öncü, he was still able to fight in the front group and ultimately cross the finish line in seventh place.
The young Turkish talent started the contest from second place on the grid, thanks to a good qualifying performance on Saturday. The Red Bull KTM Ajo rider took off well, but then a slight mistake saw him drop back a few positions.
lthough he raced in the front group for several laps, some issues with sliding prevented him from keeping pace with the leaders and he ended up crossing the finish line in seventh position.
The last round of the 2019 FIM Moto3 Junior World Championship will take place at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit in Valencia on Sunday 10th November.
Results – Race
1. Jeremy Alcoba (Husqvarna) 30:29.020
2. Daniel Holgado (Honda) +0.060
3. Carlos Tatay (KTM) +0.423
4. Barry Baltus (KTM) +0.435
5. Rysuei Yamanaka (Honda) +0.748
7. Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Ajo) +3.000
FIM Moto3 Junior World Championship Standing
1. Jeremy Alcoba (Husqvarna) 179 points
2. Carlos Tatay (KTM) 133 points
3. Xavier Artigas (Honda) 124 points
4. Barry Baltus (KTM) 118 points
5. Ryusei Yamanaka (Honda) 100 points
11. Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 46 points
53 DENIZ ÖNCÜ
“Today’s race was tough. The start was good, but then I made a mistake that meant I lost two or three positions. All through the contest I was having difficulties with the tyres, which were sliding a lot. I gave it my best shot and finally I was seventh. I had hoped for a better result, but the positive thing is that we managed to be fast in qualifying on Saturday.”