Masia and Acosta put to the test in wet and dry conditions in Austin


The Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto3 duo complete the first day of work at the Grand Prix of The Americas and earn provisional spots in Q2.


After two years without Grand Prix action, the Circuit of The Americas hosted the Moto3 World Championship again on Friday. Red Bull KTM Ajo did a great job on the opening day of the Grand Prix of The Americas, with FP1 in wet conditions and FP2 in the dry. Jaume Masia was fourth on the combined timesheets and Pedro Acosta finished in sixth place. Both riders earned provisional positions in Q2.

The Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto3 duo had to contend with wet conditions in FP1, following heavy rain that had fallen in the morning in Austin. Acosta had his first experience at the COTA track and showed a promising early adaptation to lead the session. However, a crash at Turn 14, with one minute remaining, prevented the Spaniard from improving his time and he was finally 11th with a 2:33.937 after 12 laps completed. Masia started strongly but crashed at Turn 6 in the 30th minute. He placed 13th after stopping the clock at 2:34.824 on his sixth lap of 13.

In the afternoon the track dried out, and the Moto3 riders were able to enjoy a session in favourable conditions. Masia had a solid practice that he concluded in fourth position, with a time of 2:17.493 set on his 12th lap of 14. Acosta confirmed his good feeling and headed the timesheets at several points. He ended up sixth with a personal best of 2:17.815, achieved on his 10th attempt of 13.

Tomorrow morning, Acosta and Masia will enjoy one last Free Practice before the fight for pole position. Moto3 Q1 is scheduled for 12:30 PM local time, and Q2 at 1 PM.

Results (Combined practice times FP1-FP2)
1. Filip Salac (KTM) 2:17.280
2. Niccolo Antonelli (KTM) 2:17.366 +0.086
3. Dennis Foggia (Honda) 2:17.406 +0.126
4. Jaume Masia (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 2:17.493 +0.213
5. Xavier Artigas (Honda) 2:17.562 +0.282
6. Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 2:17.815 +0.535



“I’m happy, above all, with how things went in FP2. In the morning, we had a crash, but we were unhurt. The conditions were difficult. In the afternoon, in the dry, we drew conclusions that will be important for the remainder of the weekend. We shall see what weather conditions we encounter tomorrow, and what we are capable of doing.”


“It was a positive Friday for us, taking into account that it was also our first experience on this track. I felt strong in the wet and, despite the crash, my feeling was good. In FP2, we were able to test ourselves in the dry and, in general, I am happy because we were fast from the beginning. Tomorrow we will continue working hard to continue gathering information about the circuit and take more steps forward – with our eyes set on the race.”