Cortese extended championship lead at wet Le Mans race20/05/2012
Red Bull KTM Ajo Factory Racing Team´s Sandro Cortese now leads the Moto3 GP-series with 12 points after four GPs.
German rider Cortese managed to extend his lead by 10 points despite the fact that he had to settle for 6th position in extremely difficult circumstances at wet circuit of Le Mans, healing France.
The fact that only 15 riders out of 34 managed to reach the finish line tells something about the dramatic race. Also pole man Spanish Maverick Vinales had to retire.
“Cortese´s experienced showed off again at these really difficult circumstances. Reasonable performance and many good points”, viagra team leader Aki Ajo highlighted.
Cortese, who started the season with two 3rd positions and a victory, was on his way to the podium also in France. But he crashed from second place when only less than three laps remained.
“The weather made this race also crazy”, said Cortese. “Of course it bugs me that I couldn´t reach the podium that was so close but in the end the overall situation is the most important thing. I continue in championship lead and I also managed to extend the lead.”
Sissis scored the best
result of his GP-career
Cortese´s team mate Australian Arthur Sissis made the best result of his GP-career so far being fifth. Sissis, who bet Cortese by eight seconds took his previous best result from the season opener GP in Qatar where he was seventh.
“Absolutely fantastic race from the young guy. Sissis kept his head cool until the end in difficult circumstances”, Ajo complemented.
Team´s third rider Briton Danny Kent started the race promisingly but ended up to retire.
“This time we also had bad luck. Electric devices got wet and bike stalled”, described Kent.
Sissis is 10th in championship standing and Kent 12th. The surprise winner of the Monster Energy Grand Prix de France was Louis Rossi who in front of his home crowd bet overwhelmingly Spanish Alberto Moncayo by 28,899 seconds.
The season continues on the first weekend of June in Barcelona.
MONSTER ENERGY GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE
Moto3 Race Classification:
1. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda 49.12,390
2. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 27,348
3. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 28,899
4. Niccolo Antonelli, Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 33,195
5. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 36,989
6. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 45,312
7. Jasper Iweman Netherlands, Moto FGR, FGR Honda + 58,645
8. Alan Techer France, Technomag-CIP-TSR, TSR Honda + 1.05,022
9. Ivan Moreno Spain, Andalucia JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 1.09,194
10. Giulian Pedone Switzerland, Ambrogio Next Racing, Suter Honda + 1.45,751
11. Jonas Folger Germany, IodaRacing Project, Ioda + 1 lap
12. Marcel Schrötter Germany, Mahindra Racing, Mahindra + 1 lap
13. Kevin Hanus Germany, Thomas Sabo GP Team, Honda + 1 lap
14. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 2 laps
15. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 4 laps
All together 15 riders out of 34 finished.
1. Sandro Cortese Germany, KTM 67
2. Maverick Vinales Spain, FTR Honda 55
3. Luis Salom Spain, Kalex KTM 49
4. Romano Fenati Italy, FTR Honda 45
5. Alex Rins Spain, Suter Honda 44
6. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Kalex KTM 33
7. Louis Rossi France, FTR Honda 32
8. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, FTR Honda 31
9. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, KTM 29
10. Arthur Sissis Australia, KTM 23
12. Danny Kent Great Britain, KTM 16
26. Niklas Ajo Finland, KTM 4
Next GP: 3rd of June Barcelona, Spain.