Cortese gave first Moto3 victory for The Red Bull KTM Ajo Team06/05/2012
Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team celebrated its first victory in new Moto3-class. The victory was given to the team by German rider Sandro Cortese, sales who lead the race with his KTM factory bike from the pole position until the chequered flag at the circuit of Estoril. After the season´s third GP Cortese now also leads the championship.
– Now I feel good! This victory was a big thing for KTM and for the whole team. The weekend went just perfectly from the beginning until the end. I enjoyed every lap I rode here in Estoril, rejoiced 22-year-old Cortese, who took the third GP victory of his career with a tactically perfect race.
The thriller created by Cortese and Spanish Maverick Vinales was only solved in the end of the finish line, while riders that were a lap behind gave their own excitement for the leading duo.
Cortese managed to keep his head cool and bet Vinales by only 0,055 seconds. He celebrated the victory boisterously with the team leader Aki Ajo.
– When we went to the clear lead with Vinales I though that ok, now we will take it easy and solve the battle in the end. I succeeded perfectly with my plan. At the last lap I was riding with 200 procent!, Cortese said.
Ajo who picked up the team prize described the victory incredible performance and it also showed how the work done with a high motivation pays off.
– We still have a lot work to do but as a certain kind of mid statement this is a great result. We have moved a lot forward with the bike development. New challenges and tracks wait for us but now we will enjoy for a moment.
– I am very thankful that Finnish Ajo Motorsport has the honour to do co-operation with Red Bull and KTM, Ajo continued.
Ajo gave a full ten points and a plus to Cortese´s performance.
– From Friday´s free practice onwards, from the first second until the last second, Sandro did here a flawless work. The youngster knows what he does and he has developed so much especially with his mental capabilities.
Red Bull KTM Ajo Team´s effort was all in all pretty strong. Cortese´s teammates Briton Danny Kent was eight and Australian Arthur Sissis was 13th. Kent is ninth in championship and Sissis 12th.
– Fenati (Romano), who lead the championship before Portugal, hit Kent just on that stage when he was improving his position. Kent rose once more to the top ten from far behind. Be careful guys in the top group because Danny will join you, Ajo hinted.
The GP-season continues after two weeks in Le Mans, France.
GRANDE PREMIO DE PORTUGAL CIRCUITO ESTORIL
Moto3 Race Classification 2012:
1. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM 41.34,536
2. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda + 0,055
3. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 11,038
4. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 12,195
5. Efren Vazquez Spain, JHK T-Shirt Laglisse, FTR Honda + 20,934
6. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, San Carlo Gresini, FTR Honda + 20,976
7. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 21,792
8. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 21,888
9. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, + 23,046
10. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 23,310
11. Brad Binder South Africa, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 23,379
12. Hector Faubel Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 23,763
13. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo , KTM + 24,308
14. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 25,015
15. Alex Marquez Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 26,450
16. Joan Olive Spain, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 32,641
World Championship Standing:
1. Cortese 57
2. Vinales 55
3. Salom 49
4. Romano Fenati Italy, FTR Honda 45
5. Khairuddin 29
6. Rins 28
7. Masbou 18
8. Antonelli 18
9. Kent 16
10. Faubel 15
11. Moncayo 13
12. Sissis 12
22. Niklas Ajo Finland, KTM 3
Next GP: 20th of May Le Mans, France.