Tough opening day for Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto2 at Czech Grand Prix


Tetsuta Nagashima and Jorge Martin contest first two Free Practice sessions at Brno on Friday.


The Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto2 duo got back on their bikes this Friday, for FP1 and FP2 of the Czech Grand Prix, at the Automotodrom Brno. Team’s riders had solid performances in the morning, although in the afternoon both Tetsuta Nagashima and Jorge Martin suffered small crashes. Finally, the Japanese concluded the day sixth overall, with the Spaniard 18th.

Tetsuta Nagashima ended third in FP1, thanks to a time of 2:02.889. The Japanese was one of only three riders able to break the 2:03 barrier, and did so at the final part of the session. Teammate Jorge Martin maintained consistent progress during the morning, lowering his lap times with each run. The Spaniard eventually placed 14th after stopping the clock at 2:03.501. The Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto2 pair completed a total of 15 laps each.

In the afternoon, Tetsuta Nagashima was once again amongst the frontrunners at the start of FP2. However, the Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto2 rider crashed at Turn 13 with 7 minutes remaining, missing out on the chance to put in a final hot lap. He was 13th with a time of 2:03:253. Jorge Martin also suffered a crash, in the 11th minute of the session at Turn 11. Although he lost valuable track time, the Spaniard was nevertheless able to go back out, and concluded 19th through a 2:03.619.

The Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto2 riders will have a final Free Practice on Saturday morning, before Q1 at 3:10 pm local time and Q2 at 3:35 pm.


Results – FP1 & FP2
1. Sam Lowes (Kalex) 2:02:480
2. Enea Bastianini (Kalex) 2:02.689 +0.209
3. Luca Marini (Kalex) 2:02.799 +0.319
4. Joe Roberts (Kalex) 2:02.816 +0.336
5. Jorge Navarro (Speed Up) 2:02.823 +0.343
6. Tetsuta Nagashima (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 2:02.889 +0.409
18. Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 2:03.501 +1.021



“This Friday was a bit of a struggle for us. In the morning I didn’t feel comfortable with things, since the track was quite bumpy. In the afternoon we tried both tyres, but with one I didn’t feel good enough and with the other I suffered a crash. That’s something that we will have to work hard on Saturday. In tomorrow’s FP3 session we will do our best to try to find a strong setup.”


“It was a tough day, as the conditions changed a lot from the morning to the afternoon. In FP1 I felt very good and I was riding comfortably. Tomorrow we will try to take a step forward in FP3, with our focus on qualifying. We are going to give it our all.”